MDE1244 - Bronze Age burial cairn southeast of Roborough Castle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
South-east of Roborough Castle at SS 73354574 is a barrow 12 paces in diameter and 2 1/2 ft high; it consists of a stony mound bisected by a hedge-wall running West to East. No indication on aerial photographs.  SS 73344572. A badly mutilated barrow approximately 11.0 metres in diameter and up to 0.9 metres high has been split into two segments by a thick field hedge and its accompanying ditches. Surveyed at 1:2500.  SS 7334 4573. A mound most probably the remains of a prehistoric cairn is situated about 330m above OD some 120m south of Lyncombe Lane (a green track), on a gentle north-facing slope in well-ploughed pasture fields. The turf-covered flat-topped mound (about 12m in overall diameter and up to 0.8m high) is bisected east to west by an enclosure wall (2.7 wide 1.5m high) and has been further mutilated by drainage ditches on either side. The wall is not laid on top of the mound but has been cut through it leaving a linear gap nearly 4m wide (including the ditches). The fabric appears to be of predominantly small stones with earth; some of the stone may well have been used in the construction of the wall. The mound is not shown on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1888 or 1904. [3-7]
- <1> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 124.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. Martin J Fletcher.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon sheet 7(2).
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904 Devon sheet 7(2).
- <5> SEM7737 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:2500. 1:25,000. Sheet SS 7345..
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation..
- <7> SMO4869 Survey: Lynton and Lynmouth, probable cairn at SS 74 NW 11/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <8> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
|Grid reference||SS 7334 4573 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35170 (Original Monarch entry: 35170)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/30
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12213
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20266
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35170
Record last edited
Apr 24 2020 5:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.