MDE1234 - Lower East Lyn Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 73454816) Lower East Lyn - Remains of (NAT) Manor House (NR)  Lower East Lyn farmhouse has been extensively altered and "modernised" but the core may be 18th Century. Not outstanding.  Lower East Lyn farmhouse. The remains of a late 16th century manor house, with later alterations, occupied by the Popham family in the 17th century. There are a few pigeon holes at the east end of the upper floor.  SS 74 NW 1 Manor House (Rems of) Lower East Lyn SS 7343 4815. Lower East Lyn farmhouse, the remains of a much altered late 16th century manor house, is still occupied and in good condition.  Late 16th Century with alterations. East Lyn, with West Lyn, was Lina in Domesday. Both were included in the manor of Lynton (Lintona). This was held by William Capra. Before the conquest it was held by Algar.  Lower East Lyn farmhouse clearly derives its name from the East Lyn river where the OE hlynn refers to “a torrent.” The Domesday Book has the name “Line” (Lynton was “Lintone”) which, in later records of 1242 and 1282 had become the Lyn. The listing details for this farmstead state; “This has been a grand house, which needs full investigation to determine its building history.” Part of the farmhouse is of late 16th to early 17th century date and it is shown on early Ordnance Survey maps as “remains of a Manor House.” The listing details mention that it was the former Popham Manor. The other three farmhouses have a long, (and in the case of Lower East Lyn, a low) frontage with steeply pitched roof, gable ends and axial stacks, typical of an 18th century or earlier cross-passage plan. Lower East Lyn and Leigh Barton, the former originally a Manor House, the latter a Monastic grange with probable private chapel in the south wing are both of medieval origin. Lower East Lyn is built of local shales of the Devonian series, very stratified, and ideal for building with minimal mortar. Some openings have brick lintels and there is evidence of former limewashing on some outbuildings, but now only the farmhouse has a lime-washed frontage with rendered south gable end and stack. The two largest outbuildings have Welsh slate roofs, others are of corrugated iron. Lower East Lyn has three round-headed dove holes close to the eaves. Interior features of the farmhouse mainly relate to panelled or plank doors of the 17th to 19th Centuries, some door furniture, beams with chamfers and stops (normally late 16th-early 18th Centuries) and fireplace with bread oven. At Lower East Lyn, only the Farmhouse is listed. It is a former 16th century Manor House, built of stone rubble and cob, mainly limewashed, with a slate roof. The original plan was three-room with cross-passage, and a rear wing may have been part of the original range. There have been 17th to 19th Century extensions, the latter most evident in a forward projecting full-height gabled wing to the right. Most windows are casements with transoms, probably mainly 19th Century, when the left-hand dormer was added. The interior has large fireplaces, probably 17th Century with wide bressumers, one with a flanking spiral staircase in a square well. Some rooms have beamed ceilings with chamfers and run-out stops; 17th and 18th Century panelled and 18th –19th Century plank doors, some with early hinges. The farmhouse was visited in January 1997. The house was described as very interesting and unrestored, in the form of a three room plan medieval house with battered plinth, hall bay, service wing at back, a big fireplace, high ceiling to the hall and reputedly smoke blackened roof.  The building was visited as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. MJ Fletcher.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton (1973) 7.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 466, 486, 492.
- <6> SEM6961 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Exmoor Farmsteads: Conservation Area Appraisal. 6, 8, 10, 12.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 125.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7343 4815 (17m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Lower East Lyn Farm granary / mill and water course (Monument) (MDE11723)
- Parent of: Ruined building at Lower East Lyn Farm (Building) (MEM22307)
- Parent of: Stone outbuildings at Lower East Lyn Farm (Building) (MEM22396)
- Parent of: Well or springhead at Lower East Lyn (Monument) (MEM22397)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35146 (Original Monarch entry: 35146)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/2/62
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 NW/24
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12207
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 125
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20260
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35146
Record last edited
Aug 19 2017 2:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.