MDE1224 - Barrow on Farley Hill, Brendon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 75324561) Tumulus (NR).  Farley Hill. A bowl barrow 8 paces in diameter and 2 feet high, hollow in centre. Visited 1961.  A mutilated heather covered bowl barrow, 8.5 metres in diameter, and up to 0.6 metres high on southern downhill side. There is no trace of a ditch. Published 1:2500 survey revised.  A barrow centred at SS 7532 4561 on south-facing slopes of Farley Hill. The feature is 9 metres in diameter and is 0.7 metres high on the downslope and 0.3 metres on the upslope. The site lies on open moorland, and is covered with heather and turf; some surface stone is visible.  A round barrow, probably a bowl barrow as described by , is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs centred on circa SS 7532 4561, Brendon parish. On the available aerial photographs the earthwork appears slightly ovoid in shape but is on average 8 metres in diameter; the variation in size from that noted by authority 4 is probably due to the barrow being partially obscured by vegetation. [5,6] Round barrow on farley hill. Top flat. Situated on moorland.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JWS 02-OCT-74.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 21-DEC-1993 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 (F20) 4029-4030. 08/11/1952.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 077-8 21-MAR-1995.
- <7> SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
- <8> SDE65550 Index: Ministry of Works. 1967. List of Ancient Monuments.
- <9> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7545d.
- <10> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. af/cpe/uk/1980.4075. 04/1947.
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7532 4561 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35115 (Pastscape entry: 35115)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NE508
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 663
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20028
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO69
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35115
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): DEVON635
Record last edited
Nov 23 2015 10:20AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.