MDE1214 - Post-medieval chapel at South Radworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and the six inch map dating to 1963 all record that a chapel was previously located at this site. There is a small building depicted at c. SS 7470 3269. [1-3] Site of an ancient chapel northwest of South Radworthy.  The site was visited by the Ordnance Survey in March 1973. The farmer has no knowledge of this chapel  and there is nothing visible on the ground. The building which adjoins the level site has no traces of carved stonework.  A square building is shown on the site on aerial photographs taken in 1947. [7-9] There was formerly a chapel at South Radworthy.  No evidence for a chapel at South Radworthy was found during routine field investigation.  A rectangular structure (possibly a building) is shown aligned east to west at c. SS 7470 3269 on the North Molton Tithe Map. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO5307 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference . 1904 24.
- <5> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Mr Jones, South Radworthy.
- <6> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 7 March 1973.
- <7> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7432b.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3380 (April 1947).
- <9> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/052 (May 1977).
- <10> SDE323771 Monograph: Lysons, D. and Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannia: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties of Great Britain; 6: Devonshire. T Cadell and W Davies.
- <11> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Survey, 19 April 1993.
- <12> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7470 3269 (12m by 14m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35084 (Pastscape entry: 35084)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12175
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/19
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20252
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35084
Record last edited
Apr 9 2019 12:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.