MDE1199 - Bronze Age barrow at Kinsford Gate Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'North Molton No 10' SS 7400 3660 A broad shallow bowl barrow with hollow in the centre, 28 paces diameter and 2 ft high. This is possibly Kensford Barrow' named in 1651 as marking the west boundary of Exmoor Forest.  'North Molton No 10a' SS 7415 3753 It is uncertain whether it is a bowl barrow or upcast from adjoining quarry. This is 13 paces in diameter and 3 ft high. This site was visited in 1961.  SS 7398 3659 A probable bowl barrow 28 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high situated in undulating moorland. The suggested name 'Kensford barrow' could not be verified - the nearby crossroads is called Kinsford Gate. This site was surveyed at 1:2500. SS 7415 3653. The 0.5 metre high mound is almost certainly spoil from the adjoining diggings (MDE20240).  A partial excavation in May and June 1977was undertaken as the farmer had been permission to plough the site. This uncovered a circular stone bank 63 feet in diameter, 2 feet high with a 5 foot basal spread. A stone cairn within the enclosure may have held a cremation urn, but if so, had been robbed. This is possibly a Bronze Age ring cairn. [4,8] The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a low mound at SS 7398 3659, measuring approximately 28 metres across.  The site was visited in 1982, when it was noted that the barrow is still visible as a low level mound.  The barrow was mentioned in a 1983 article in the proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 
- <1> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS73NW13.
- <2> SDE7849 Article in serial: Grinsell, L. V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. p 101, 105, 125.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1, M. J. Fletcher, 7 March 1972.
- <4> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Eardley-Wilmot, H., 1980, Volume 112, p 171-174.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3407-08 (11 July 1946).
- <6> SEM7780 Unpublished document: Bovey & Timms. 1982. Site Visit Field Notes. Site visit 9 June 1982.
- <7> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings. Grinsell, L. V., 1983, Volume 41, p 46.
- <8> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 19 (1978), "Saving Exmoor's Past", p63-67 (H Eardley-Wilmot).
|Grid reference||SS 7397 3659 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35046 (Pastscape entry: 35046)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): 527
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12160
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/527
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20239
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO60
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35046
Record last edited
Jul 23 2019 5:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.