Site Event/Activity record EMO4988 - 1977: AE - Kinsford ring cairn
A partial excavation in May and June 1977 was undertaken as the farmer had been permission to plough the site. This uncovered a circular stone bank 63 feet in diameter, 2 feet high with a 5 foot basal spread. A stone cairn within the enclosure may have held a cremation urn, but if so, had been robbed. This is possibly a Bronze Age ring cairn.
- <1> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. (H Eardley-Wilmot), Volume 112 (1980), p 171-174.
- <2> SMO4185 Serial: Devon Archaeological Exploration Society newsletter no 1 (Sept 1962) - no 49 (January 1975) . Volume 8 (1977), p4.
- <3> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 19 (1978), "Saving Exmoor's Past", p63-67 (H Eardley-Wilmot).
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 636703, Extant 24 November 2021.
|Location||Kinsford Gate Cross, North Molton, Devon|
|Grid reference||SS 7397 3659 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MDE1199 Bronze Age ring cairn at Kinsford Gate Cross (Monument)
Record last edited
Nov 24 2021 2:10PM