MDE1195 - Bronze Age bowl barrow on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7255 3769 Tumulus (NR).  "High Bray No 9", bowl barrow visited by Grinsell in April 1949.The barrow is 17 paces in diameter and 1 and a half feet high.  A bowl barrow up to 18 metres across and 0.6 metres high. Published survey 1:2500 revised.  A Bronze Age barrow, as described above, is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a sub circular earthwork measuring approximately 17.5 metres in diameter. It is part of a group of at least five barrows situated on high ground north of North Twitchen, Brayford. [4-5] When observed in 1979 the barrow was in fair condition. Grazed and therefore subject to minor trampling. (6) A field visit in 1982 saw no change to the barrow. Field is rough pasture.  High Bray barrow. Located to the south of SS73NW/504 (?). Probably lowered by cultivation. No obvious ditch, margined with a growth of rushes. [source unknown] A site visit by the Field Monument Warden of the Department of the Environment was undertaken in 1982.  The monument is mentioned in 1936 in Grinsell's The ancient burial mounds of England.  The site is visible on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map of 1905.  A colour photograph of the barrow is visible on a slide.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. p 122.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 4 March 1973.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1501 4046-47 (13 May 1946).
- <5> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <6> SEM7777 Unpublished document: Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology. 1979. Field Notes.
- <7> SEM7780 Unpublished document: Bovey & Timms. 1982. Site Visit Field Notes.
- <8> SDE7946 Unpublished document: Weston, S.. 1982. Department of Environment Field Monument Warden visit.
- <9> SSO1226 Monograph: Grinsell, L V. 1936. The ancient burial mounds of England. P. 137.
- <10> SEM7770 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 6 Inch Map: 1905. 1:10560. 11NW.
- <11> SDE60844 Photograph: Anonymous. Slides. colour slide.
- <12> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <13> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7254 3769 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35034 (Pastscape entry: 35034)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 727
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/505
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20079
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO56
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW9
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35034
Record last edited
Nov 2 2015 2:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.