MDE1193 - Bronze Age bowl barrow on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 72533809 Tumulus (NR)  High Bray No 5, bowl barrow with signs of peristalith. R. Rainbird-Clark saw signs of a ditch in 1938. The barrow is 32 paces in diameter and 1 3/4 feet high.  SS 7252 3810 A bowl barrow approximately 34.0 metres across and 0.9 metres high. A ditch could not be identified because of the marshy conditions around the mound; however Clark  may have been referring to the shallow trench which has been dug into the scarp in the southwest quadrant. Published survey 1:2500 revised.  A Bronze Age barrow is cleary visible on aerial photographs lying approximately 50 metres northwest of Setta Barrow. The barrow measures some 32 metres in diameter, surrounded by a narrow ditch visible as an area of lush growth [4, 5] Round barrow some 60 metres north-west of Setta Barrow. The barrow is flat and evidently of platform type. It is in good condition and shows no signs of excavation. No mounds are visible on the platform. It has a rough surface with moorland herbage.  This site is visible on aerial photographs taken in 1947 and 1976. [7, 9, 10] The barrow is mentioned in McDonnell's 1980 gazetteer of sites in Exmoor National Park.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.  The site is depicted and labelled "Tumulus" on the 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 121.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 Fletcher, M. J. 4 March 1973.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 623-24 (17 April 1973).
- <5> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <6> SDE8487 Unpublished document: Weston, S.. 1983. List of Field Monument Warden visits. 14 January 1983.
- <7> SEM7437 Aerial photograph: Cambridge University Collection. CUC/CBO 7 (7 September 1976).
- <8> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7238a.
- <9> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3445 (April 1947).
- <10> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 14/060 (May 1977).
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <13>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #42017 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7252 3810 (47m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35030 (Pastscape entry: 35030)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 731
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/501
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20082
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO54
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35030
Record last edited
Sep 22 2020 12:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.