MDE1189 - Prehistoric stone row on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7257 3791 Stone Row.  Possible remains of a double stone row to the southwest of a barrow (MDE1194). There are 4 stones, three in line (the most westerly fallen) on a southwest to northeast axis, and the fourth 26 1/2 feet (roughly 8.07 metres) southeast of the fallen stone. It was suggested that the row pointed towards the barrow, but not its centre. (Plan copy made). [2, 3] There is no trace of any of the four stones; the moorland has been reclaimed and the area ploughed, so the stones were probably removed then.  The indicated site lies is an arable field which is regularly ploughed. No exposed stone is evident in the general area. Although described as a stone row the disposition and wide spacing of the stones depicted on the plan  suggests a stone setting rather than a row.  The site was reviewed as part of the Stone Rows of Great Britain project in 2018, but was not visited.  The row is not marked on the 25 inch 1st ör 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [7,8]
- <1>XY SEM7770 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 6 Inch Map: 1905. 1:10560. [Mapped feature: #46705 ]
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 37 (1905), 395 plate 8 (FJ Chanter, R Handsford Worth).
- <3> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. p 395, plan 8.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 March 1973.
- <5> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 January 1989.
- <6> SEM340770 Website: Gerrard, S.. 2020. The Stone Rows of Great Britain.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||SS 7257 3791 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35014 (Pastscape entry: 35014)
- https://stonerows.wordpress.com/gazetteer/region/exmoor/bray-common/ (The Stone Rows of Great Britain: Bray Common)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73NW/532
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12165
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20244
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35014
Record last edited
Sep 22 2020 1:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.