MDE1189 - Prehistoric stone row on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7257 3791 Stone Row.  Possible remains of a double stone row to the southwest of a barrow (MDE1194). There are 4 stones, three in line (the most westerly fallen) on a southwest to northeast axis, and the fourth 26 1/2 feet (roughly 8.07 metres) southeast of the fallen stone. It was suggested that the row pointed towards the barrow, but not its centre. (Plan copy attached to MDE1194). [2, 3] There is no trace of any of the four stones; the moorland has been reclaimed and the area ploughed, so the stones were probably removed then.  The indicated site lies is an arable field which is regularly ploughed. No exposed stone is evident in the general area. Although described as a stone row the disposition and wide spacing of the stones depicted on the plan  suggests a stone setting rather than a row. 
- <1> SEM7770 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 6 Inch Map: 1905. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 37 (1905), 395 plate 8 (FJ Chanter, R Handsford Worth).
- <3> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. p 395, plan 8.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 March 1973.
- <5> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 January 1989.
|Grid reference||SS 7256 3791 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35014 (Pastscape entry: 35014)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73NW/532
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12165
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20244
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35014
Record last edited
Jan 10 2017 4:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.