MDE11701 - Possible 20th Century building remains east of The Lodge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 74 NW 46.SS 7037 4053. Possible building remains with a hollow way seen by McDonnell on air photograph. [1,2] SS 7037 4053. This area is a wet gully in a pasture field on west facing slopes. A trackway from Woolhanger to Thornworthy farms crosses the area and its use has formed modern hollow-ways but there is no evidence of any buildings. No buildings appear on the 1840 Tithe Map or the 1888 or 1904 Ordnance Survey maps. [3-6] Possible building remains recorded from aerial photographs during the CRAAGS survey have not been identied on the ground. The structures also were not be identified during the Exmoor NMP survey, but the hollow way may be associated with a similar route visible further to the south at circa SS 70334542, which may have been mis-identified by McDonnell as low banks forming field boundaries to the east of Home Plantation. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7045B.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Apr 1947, RAF/CPE/UK/1980, 4083.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon Sheet 6(8).
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon Sheet 6(8).
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <7> SMO7038 Unassigned: Hegarty, C.. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. Exmoor NMP Survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7036 4557 (60m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926140 (Original Monarch entry: 926140)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/45
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17880
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20494
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO344
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW46
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926140
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 11:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.