MDE11685 - Post-medieval catchwater leat on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A contour-following leat noted by McDonnell  on air photos  on the W side of Cheriton Ridge. [1,2] SS 7417 4500 to SS 7376 4634. A catchwater leat used to irrigate spring grass on a west facing slope. It is some 3.5 km long, probably for early watering of fields and use at Cheriton Farm. The leat is shown on the OS maps dated 1888  and 1904 . No survey action was carried out.  The does not appear to continue as far north as Cheriton and therefore may not have been associated with watering here. Its precise function remains uncertain.  The leat runs from just north of the Forest boundary, where the remains of a collapsed stone bridge or sluice at the take off point can be seen at SS 74830. The northern end of the leat, where it leaves the common, has not been established, but the channel is substantial and takes water from several streams which flow into Hoaroak Water, suggesting it may have been built in the late 19th Century to power farm machinery at farms in Cheriton. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980, 4078. 04/1947.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon Sheet 7(6).
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon Sheet 7(6).
- <5> SEM7737 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:2500. 1:25,000. Sheet SS 7443 and SS 7444.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 279-80. 16/08/1972.
- <8> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <9> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 36.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7410 4509 (871m by 2204m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044524 (Original Monarch entry: 1044524)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926073 (Original Monarch entry: 926073)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/66
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE12878
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO338
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW35
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW160
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044524
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926073
Record last edited
Dec 4 2013 4:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.