MDE11474 - Medieval or post-medieval field system west of South Radworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A field system centred at SS 7440 3250 and covering approximately 28 hectares is depicted as existing fields on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map of 1890 (Devonshire, Sheet XV. NW) . The field system is contained by roads on the north, east and south sides, by woodland on the west. The settlement of South Radworthy lies at its northeast corner. The field system, lying within a minor west to east valley, comprises a number of narrow curving fields, running roughly north to south up and down the valley sides. These are in part articulated by west to east boundaries, which run with the contour. A number of the field boundaries have now been removed, and the system is consequently much less intelligible on the ground. Some of the removed boundaries survive as lynchets. [1,2] The field system described above was seen on aerial photographs from the 1940s, examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project. However, it was not mapped as part of the project as it is clearly depicted on the Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1890. [3-5]
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890, Devonshire 15NW.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 April 1993.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3379-80 (11 April 1947).
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890. [Mapped feature: #44583 ]
- <5> SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7440 3246 (640m by 453m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=917485 (Pastscape entry: 917485)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17997
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO328
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW17
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 917485
Record last edited
Apr 15 2019 4:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.