MDE11438 - 18th or 19th Century leat associated with Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Old leat shown on 6 inch 1963 Ordnance Survey map.  Bampfylde mine leat.  Course survives largely intact. Before reaching the mine workings it is 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep. Width reduces to 6 feet during final approach to crusher house. Fed a whole series of launders which supplied dressing machinery, main wheel on engine shaft, crusher house and large wheel on west side of valley.  Probably linked to one of the two water wheels noted in a visit by Swedish technician, Henric Kahlmeter, in 1724.  The leat is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, running southwest parallel to the River Mole from SS 7450 3321 to SS 7389 3280. [5,6] A leat supplying the eastern workings of the Bampfylde copper mining complex runs from SS 7461 3327 to SS 7394 3265. It is some 2.2m in width, up to 1.5m in depth and it runs along the steep valley side. In places the channel has been rock cut.The leat formerly supplied three of the wheels on the eastern workings at SS 7389 3279, SS 7392 3265 (with attendant crusher house), and at SS 7392 3251. See 1:1250 survey and MDE1219. [7,8]
- <1> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <2> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <3> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 224, 235.
- <4> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 2-7.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1880s.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 April 1993.
- <8> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7422 3296 (684m by 592m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=917392 (Pastscape entry: 917392)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46115
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/5
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21392
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW15
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 917392
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 12:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.