MDE11232 - Possible medieval strip field system west of Kemacott Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The field pattern shown on the 6 inch 1963 Ordnance Survey map is suggestive of a strip field partially fossilised.  A large area of enclosed strips are to the west of Kemacott, with which they are most probably connected.  To the west of Kemacott Farm is an area of some 25 hectares of enclosed, mainly pasture, fields at about 214 metres Ordnance Datum. The present pattern of field boundaries, which are generally orientated north to south, is laid out along both sides of a ridge at right angles to Crowball Lane, a green track running along the ridge top. Most of the fields have a fairly broad rectangular shape but a group of about four, centred at SS 662 472, are predominantly long and narrow. This layout suggests the presence of a system of earlier strip fields.  The field system is shown in a similar arrangement on the Martinhoe Tithe Map. It has been mapped on the GIS mapping using this evidence. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. S Timms, Devon County Council, 2 February 1983.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 August 1993.
- <4>XY SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #42109 ]
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 1 December 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 660 472 (506m by 685m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915540 (Pastscape entry: 915540)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/27
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12105
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20219
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE61
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915540
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.