MDE11203 - 19th Century ironstone mining remains on Martinhoe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An unnamed mine. Adit and shaft on Martinhoe Common, 1.5 miles northnortheast of Parracombe. Reported to be an iron mine. Date unknown.  Now obliterated by reclamation.  SS 6764 4702. The site of un-named mine workings on the southern part of Martinhoe Common. According to Claughton  these probably represent trial diggings for iron exploration. The site is depicted in open heathland on the 1904 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map . It is shown as a roughly circular enclosure containing an adit and spoil symbol annotated 'Old Trial Level' at SS 6764 4702. Some 20 metres to the southwest at SS 6763 4700, is a circle contained within it a square enclosure annotated 'Old Trial Shaft'. They are not shown on the earlier 1890 1st Edition  so may not have been in existence then. This area was ploughed in 1945  and is at present rough grazing land. There is now no trace of the shaft but on the site of the level, at about 285 metres Ordnance Datum, is a hollow circular area about 5 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres deep, with a slight irregular raised stony area 0.3 metres high adjacent to the west side. Position of Level confirmed by survey. 
- <1> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1. 6.
- <2> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 104.
- <3>XY SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 6(3). [Mapped feature: #42110 ]
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Devon 6(3).
- <5> SEM7572 Monograph: Bridle, H.. 1991. Woody Bay. Finial Publishing. 86.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 July 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6764 4701 (50m by 58m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915390 (Pastscape entry: 915390)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20888
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE47
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915390
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.