MDE11186 - Post-medieval ironstone workings east of Cherryford Cottage Hotel (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An area of disturbed ground is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 and locally reputed to be the site of an iron mine. Its date is unknown but is probably of the 1870s. [1,2] SS 6703 4771. The site occupies the foot of steep south facing slopes overlooking a stream. It is depicted on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  in an area of open moorland as "unannotated workings", excavated into the slope with an associated spoil heap to the south. By 1904 the site is depicted by 'quarry and spoil' symbols, covering an area about 1 hectare, with a rectangular tank a few metres to the west. It is annotated "Old Quarry", suggesting that it had gone out of use by then. The site now lies in a fenced off area of thick scrub and deciduous woodland within an intake area of rough pasture. There is no trace of the tank and although the quarry area is visible it is inaccessible due to the thick undergrowth. Claughton states that this is locally reputed to be the site of an (unnamed) iron mine and although its date is not known he considers it probably of the 1870 period . No survey action.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 105.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 2(15). [Mapped feature: #42112 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 2(15).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1993.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 915161, Extant 2 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6704 4770 (49m by 35m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915161 (Pastscape entry: 915161)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31055
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54990
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/79
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/79/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21040
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21609
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE39
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915161
Record last edited
Jan 3 2022 9:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.