MDE10899 - Possible undated rectangular enclosure southwest of Roe Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Ditches recorded from aerial photographs suggested three sides of a rectangular enclosure, centred at SS 6964 4419. [1,2] The field of the National Grid Reference cited is improved pasture. There is no field evidence for the features recorded. However, undulations and channels in the vicinity of the site appear to represent surface run-off or natural water channels. They are sinuous and do not correspond with the description of the features observed on aerial photographs.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6944b.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4085 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 October 1993.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 910116, Extant 10 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6962 4417 (84m by 76m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910116 (Original Monarch entry: 910116)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/96
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17982
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20728
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE65
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 910116
Record last edited
Nov 10 2021 3:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.