MDE10888 - Bronze Age burial cairns northeast of Roe Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The site was visited by Timms and Griffith on 27 January 1981. A small ring cairn surviving as an earthwork. Approx. 8 metres in diameter with a stony bank less than 0.5 metres high. A farm track runs immediately next to cairn, and on opposite side of the track is a small oval mound, possibly associated with the cairn.  At SS 6979 4440. A low circular ring of material measuring some 6.8 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. On the southeast is a break in the ring of 1.1 metres. The internal area is slightly raised above the surrounding ground surface. Some 5 metres to the north is a low amorphous mound. Although superficially hutlike in appearance (and recorded in the Devon SMR as a ring cairn), the ring feature appears to be the heavily robbed or excavated remains of a cairn; the mound some 5 metres to the north being a spoil dump. At SS 6980 4443; some 29 metres north of the former. A low subcircular mound 5.4 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. It lies on the edge of an area disturbed by traces of former stone quarrying. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale, August 1993. [1,2]
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Worksheet, Timms and Griffith, 27 January 1981.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 August 1993. [Mapped features: #40455 Cairn with spoil heap, ; #40456 Mound, ]
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SMO4814 Survey: Sainsbury, I. & Wilson-North, R.. 1993. South Common, SS 64 SE 20, 21, 22, 25, 46, 47, 54/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6979 4441 (15m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910067 (Original Monarch entry: 910067)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/67
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12591
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10888
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE54
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910067
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 4:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.