MDE10860 - Holy Trinity Church, Barton Town (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Holy Trinity Church, Challacombe was largely rebuilt in 1850, and was subsequently restored in 1874-5. Only the west tower remains of the earlier church.  The Tithe Map for Challacombe parish contains a sketch of the earlier church marking its parish position.  The church now occupies an isolated position within the parish, the existing village of Challacombe being some 1.2 kilometres to the eastnortheast, the only local settlement being Barton Town farmhouse and a string of cottages to the west. However, the Tithe Map shows further cottages to the immediate west of the church (their sites now within the churchyard). Settlement earthworks have been recorded to the east and southeast. [2,3] The parish church was completely rebuilt in 1850, except the west tower, and again restored in 1874-5. It contains nothing of any age or interest except the font.  The tower was subject to repair work in the late 1990s, when it was also rendered.  The church porch contains two war memorial slate tablets; that on the east side commemorating parishioners who served in World War One and to the west, those who served during World War Two. A plaque in the church also commemorates Albert Edwin Stiling, who was killed in action in Western Europe in 1944.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted and labelled Holy Trinity Church on the 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 252.
- <2> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 October 1993.
- <4> SEM7486 Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. Collins. 362.
- <5> SEM8069 Article in serial: Wood, C.. 1999. Challacombe tower revealed. English Heritage Conservation Bulletin. 36. p14-17.
- <6> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Challacombe (18 March 1986) 48.
- <7> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. 25522 (WWI); 25524 (WWII); 25523 (Stiling).
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <9>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46424 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6798 4061 (24m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (5)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.25522 (UKNWIM entry 25522 (WWI plaque))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.25523 (UKNIWM entry 25523 (Stiling plaque))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.25524 (UKNIWM entry 25524 (WWII plaque))
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5275 (CHER ID: 615471)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909913 (Pastscape entry: 909913)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1615/2/74
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615471
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/72
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15194
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20410
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE36
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909913
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 5:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.