CHALLACOMBE BARTON TOWN SS 64 SE 2/74 Church of Holy Trinity 25.2.65 II*
Parish church. Tower probably early C16, the nave and chancel entirely rebuilt in 1850 and again restored 1874-5. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends, apex gablets and cross to chancel end. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry and south porch. Tower of 2 stages with crenellated parapet. Angle buttresses to north, west and south-west, single buttress to south-east. Polygonal stair turret to north-east. 2-light bell-openings with 4-centred arches to north and south, that to south has hoodmould and additional single light bell-opening. Single-light bell-openings with 4-centred arches to west and east sides with louvres and hoodmould. Quatrefoil tracery to west window of 2 trefoil-headed lights, above blocked entry with hollow chamfered 4-centred doorway with relieving arch above of stone voussoirs. Nave south side has buttress with ashlar off-sets to each end. 2 windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights flank gabled porch with slate roof, fleur-de-lis apex gablet, pointed chamfered arched porch doorway with moulded and stopped surround to inner doorway with plank door. Single trefoil-headed light window to chancel. Pointed arched 3-light east window with hoodmould. Vestry window of 2 shoulder-headed lights. Stack with ashlar quoins and crenellated cap. Pointed arched doorway with chamfered surround to west side. Nave north side has trefoil-headed windows, 2 of 2-lights, one single light, with buttress at west end. Unmoulded semi-circular tower arch. Hollow-chamfered surround to 4-centred arched stair turret doorway. Corbelled-out arch-braced trusses, 4 to nave, 2 to chancel. Pointed chancel arch with ovolo-moulded inner arch, corbelled out with short marble colonettes with foliated capitals. Trefoil-headed piscina with hoodmould. Flanking walls to stone reredos with small quatrefoil and foliated pattern with ball flower ornamentation to the dado rail. 3 staggered pointed arches to centre supported on short marble colonettes, fleur-de-lis finials and cusped inner arches. Quatrefoil panels to stone altar, patterned altar tiles. Wineglass-style pulpit with human head corbel to the tapered base, cusped headed blind panelling to each facet with access only via shoulder-headed doorway to vestry. Stained glass to east window, east end of nave north side (1902) and west end of nave south side (1901). Early font, probably C14 with twin-pointed arched blind tracery to each facet of the octagonal bowl supported on circular stem with short colonettes at each corner.
Listing NGR: SS6799040621