MDE1060 - Bronze Age barrow on Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 6821 4278) Tumulus (NR)  (SS 6823 4278) A round barrow, 15 paces in diameter and 2 feet high.  The barrow is lying in moorland. It is 15.0 metres in diameter and on average 1.0 metre high. Published survey 25" revised.  A turf covered tussocky barrow, measuring 16.6 metres north to south by 15.6 metres west to east. The mound lies within rank pasture and is covered in coarse grass with patches of bracken and rushes spreading over it. The mound is 0.7 metres high, and has a summit diameter of 8.4 to 9.7 metres. On the eastern lip of the summit is a spread lump of material which is almost certainly the product of an excavation. It represents a spoil heap placed on the eastern side of a north to south trench. Other evidence for excavation is a sharp sided ditch, 0.3 metres deep, around the northern side of the mound. On the western side, the outer lip of the ditch has a lobe of spoil 4.3 metres long and 0.2 metres high upon it. The ditch was probably dug by excavators either to define the mound or to establish whether it was bounded by a kerb.  The barrow described above is clearly visible on a number of aerial photographs. It is situated in a prominent position on a west facing spur close to the summit of Challacombe Common. No evidence of disturbance or excavation is visible on aerial photographs, and the barrow appears relatively well preserved.  An intact round barrow. Scheduled with four others and an enclosure, on Challacombe Common.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 9.  The site was surveyed in March 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 9. 
- <1> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 114.
- <3> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 16 August 1972.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 June 1993.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F66) 185-86 (27 April 1964).
- <6> SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181.
- <7> SEM7786 Report: Department of Environment. 1972. List of Ancient Monuments.
- <8> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. Ss6842d.
- <9> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3090 (April 1947).
- <10> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/13/122 (May 1977).
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6821 4277 (23m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34721 (Original Monarch entry: 34721)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2663
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/48
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20167
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO30
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE18
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34721
Record last edited
May 22 2019 10:48AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.