MDE1055 - Two Barrows on Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 66454327) Tumulus (NR).  SS 66464327. A stony round barrow 10 paces in diameter and 2 1/2 feet high.  Two round barrows: I. 17.0 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. Published survey 25 inch revised. II. SS 6639 4333. Is 30.0 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. It lies beneath a junction of field walls in an area of grazing land. Located during field investigation and surveyed at 1:2500.  Two round barrows centred at SS 6642 4330, on a prominent west-east ridge. At SS 6639 4333 is a turf-covered mound, lying beneath the junction of three hedgebanks (which converge at the centre of the barrow). Its overall plan is therefore difficult to appreciate on the ground. Nevertheless it is roughly circular and measures 24.7 metres north to south by 26.7 metres west to east. It stands to 0.5 metres in height. The barrow has been disturbed by the construction of the banks, and this has been made worse by flanking hedge ditches which have cut into the fabric of the mound. At SS 6646 4327 is an elongated turf-covered mound. It measures 15.6 metres north to south by 11.2 metres west to east, and stands to 0.6 metres in height. The vegetation of the site is close cropped turf. The barrows are situated in a prominent location with good all round visibility.  The larger of the two mounds is not visible on aerial photographs of the area, due to the proximity of the three converging hedgebanks. The smaller mound can be seen.  Round barrow on rowley down situated in pasture.  Robert ballment's plan of rowley down dated 1797 shows this barrow as "la- burrow" (first word illegible). It is shown on the corner of the boundary to land attached to Little Rowley.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 12.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 126.
- <3> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 August 1972.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field visit, 22 July 1993.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3093-94 11 April 1947.
- <6> SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181.
- <7> SEM7773 Index: Ministry of Works. 1968. List of Ancient Monuments.
- <8> SEM7791 Map: Ballment, R.. 1797. Plan of Rowley Down.
- <9> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS66643B.
- <10> SEM7792 Article in serial: Grinsell, L. V.. 1983. The Barrows of South and East Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 41. p 46.
- <11> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS64SE13. Plan.
- <12> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <13> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6642 4330 (97m by 87m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34706 (Pastscape entry: 34706)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE25
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE56
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12125
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2091
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20151
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20231
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO25
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34706
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): DV 627
Record last edited
Jul 2 2018 12:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.