MDE10452 - St Thomas's Church, Kentisbury (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 6226 4382) Church (NAT).  Church of St Thomas. 15th or early 16th Century west tower and fabric of nave walls and south porch. Chancel rebuilt, north aisle added and restored 1873-5 by C Dolby of Abingdon for the Reverend Thomas Openshaw, absentee rector and patron 1863-77 (he lived near Manchester). Plan of west tower, nave, chancel, north aisle and south porch. Grade II*. [2,3] An 18th Century monument in the church is dedicated to William Richards. The body of Mr William Richards, Gent was buried here in 1739 and his son, John Richards Gent, in 1767.  A few fragments of an old rood screen were removed in 1874 andpreserved in the vestry in 1896. They have been since discovered.  A slate sundial on the porch is dated 1762 and is one of eight extant dials signed by John Berry. The engraved motto is "watch and pray time steals away".  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A Roll of Honour commemorates those who served from the Parish in the Second World War. A gravestone in the churchyard includes an inscription commemorating Harry Bushen, born 17th December 1879 and killed in action in France on 1st November 1918.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The church is depicted on the Tithe Map for Kentisbury and is labelled "Church", and is shown in land parcel 1 with the churchyard. The landowner (Glebe) is described as the Reverend Charles Barter Sweet, and the occupier as the Reverend John James Rowe.  "St Thomas's Church (Rectory)" is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The church is also depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10,000 / 1978.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Devon, North Devon District (Apr 1987) 53-4.
- <3> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 515-6.
- <4> SMO4114 Serial: 1900 -. Devon and Cornwall notes and queries. Volume 4 (1906-7) Inscriptions in Devonshire Churches, 25 (T Wainwright).
- <5> SDE15320 Article in serial: Bond, F. B.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. 468.
- <6> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 89 (1957) Sundials in North Devon, 182, 185, Figure 6 (J. Crowley).
- <7> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <8> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. Reference 25624 (WW2), 25625 (gravestone).
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 899811, Extant 15 November 2021.
- <10> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1.
- <11> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6227 4382 (26m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=899811 (Pastscape entry: 899811)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5281 (CHER ID: 615477)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/5/93
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615477
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2041
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2042
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2043
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 4535
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/5
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/5/1
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/5/2
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/5/3
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20117
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20118
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20119
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20168
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW28
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 899811
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 6:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.