Listed Building: FORMER FARMHOUSE ADJOINING WEST YARDE FARMHOUSE TO THE SOUTH EAST (1214047)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1549, 10, 127
Date assigned 24 November 1988
Date last amended
Date revoked
NORTH MOLTON SS 73 SW 10/127 Former farmhouse adjoining West - Yarde Farmhouse to the south-east II Farmhouse, now outbuilding partly used for garages. Probably early C17 with probably C18 alterations and additions. Further late C20 alterations. Coursed stone rubble, much replacing former C17 cob (small area of cob survives to front). Gable-ended corrugated-iron roof. Truncated stone stacks. Plan and development: Probable C17 two-room plan with integral end stacks, facing south (ground falls to right). Probably C18 one-roomed addition to left (latterly dairy) with entrance to front. Lean-to porch and outbuilding to front, probably a late C18 or C19 addition (see probable straight joint to front). Some rebuilding of the outside walls (probably in the C18), probably replacing former cob (see straight joints in right-hand gable end and rear where later stonework abuts former stone stack). The two right-hand ground-floor rooms converted to garaging in the C20 and large doors inserted in the front wall. Former doorways in front wall and end wall of right-hand room (now blocked). Eaves raised at some time, probably in the later C18 or C19. Late C20 alterations included the replacement of the roof and the truncation of the stacks. House built into bank at left-hand end. Two storeys. Exterior: Two first-floor C19 two-light small-paned wooden casements with wooden lintels. Ground-floor C19 two-light small-paned wooden casement to left with wooden lintel and small C19 four-paned wooden casement to far right with wooden lintel, possibly replacing former doorway (see flanking straight joints). C19 boarded door off-centre to left with C19 pegged beaded wooden frame and wooden lintel. Lean-to porch with open front, stone benches inside and 2 steps up. Porch incorporating small lean-to outbuilding to right with boarded doors in right-hand return. Two sets of C20 garage doors off-centre to right, with steel lintel, steel door to left and pair of boarded doors to right. Right-hand gable end with straight joint to centre (right-hand side is former end stack and left-hand side is a later rebuilding); projecting semi-circular bread oven to right with slate roof and blocked doorway to left (see straight joints and internal wooden lintel and jambs. Left-hand gable end, built into bank, has first-floor C19 boarded door with wooden lintel and approached by 2 stone steps. End stack slightly projecting at rear of right hand end, with straight joints (probably evidence of rebuilt former cob rear wall). Blocked small window at rear of left-hand end (see straight joints). Interior: right-hand ground-floor room has C17 deep-chamfered spine beam with stepped runout stops, and C17 deep-chamfered rear half beam (reused beam over C20 garage doors). C17 open fireplace to right with dressed-stone jambs and cambered chamfered wooden lintel with straight-cut stops returning to jambs. Small probable former fire window in rear wall. Central ground-floor room has two C17 deep-chamfered cross beams and wall half-beam to left, with straight cut stops. Ceiling frame also retains old joists. Blocked C17 fireplace to left with dressed stone jambs and cambered chamfered wooden lintel with runout stops. Left-hand ground-floor room (former dairy) with the remains of low slate shelves and drain in the stone floor. Doorway to rear, formerly leading to external stairs at rear. Doorway in front of stack between left-hand room and central room, blocked with C20 blockwork but retaining wooden frame on left-hand side. C20 roof. This house was replaced by a new farmhouse c.1900 (not included on this list) adjoining to north-west. The old house was used as a Youth Hostel in the first half of the C20. Listing NGR: SS7200534470

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 72004 34468 (15m by 8m)
Map sheet SS73SW
Civil Parish NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)