SS84SE LUCCOMBE CP CLOUTSHAM 5/41 Cloutsham Farmhouse - II
Farmhouse. Probably C17 on site of earlier dwelling, enlargement dated 1869, partly rebuilt after fire in 1916. Red sandstone random rubble, plain clay tiles, stone stacks. L-plan. Original farmhouse rebuilt after fire lying roughly east-west with large C19 extension on South front in Swiss chalet style. South front: gable end, wooden gallery at first floor under lower roof, segmental shingled gable end on columns, pierced lattice flat balusters, curved brackets, large canted bay window ground floor, C20 window above; to left set back from house wing with gabled block in junction, evidence of lateral stack and perhaps stair projection but much altered. Right return, 3 first floor gabled dormers, ground floor 4-light ogee headed window with date stone 1869 set below, entrance north-east corner, C20 door. The farm was enlarged by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and is frequently mentioned in the literature on stag hunting on Exmoor. (Chadwick Healey, The History of Part of West Somerset, 1901; Turner, Exmoor Village, 1947).
Listing NGR: SS8927243125