MSO12027 - Chapel of Ease, West Lynch
|Name:||Chapel of Ease, West Lynch|
|Type of Record:||Building|
|Grid Reference:||SS 900 476|
|Parish:||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
A chapel built c.1530, restored in 1880 and with a porch added c.1904. It has been restored to ecclesiastical use after being used for storage by the adjacent farm.
Lynch Chapel, from south © Exmoor National Park Authority
Lynch Chapel, from west © Exmoor National Park Authority
Bellcote, Lynch Chapel © Exmoor National Park Authority
Lynch Chapel from east © Exmoor National Park Authority
- CHAPEL OF EASE (AD 16th Century to Modern - 1520 AD? to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- Listed Building (II*) 1057997: LYNCH CHAPEL OF EASE
- Conservation Area: Bossington and West Lynch Conservation Area
A chapel of the perpendicular period situated in the hamlet of West Lynch. Until recently it formed part of the buildings of the adjoining farm, as a storehouse, but has been restored for use for Divine Service. 
The building is probably of the same date as the south aisle of the parish church, c.1520. 
'A small building, and it was remarkable that it should have three doors… there being doors opposite each other in the north and south walls… probably an arrangement to enable processions to be held in small churches'. 
The early 16th Century chapel of a former manor house of the Sydenhams. Hence its unusually ambitious east window (renewed 1885); three lights with a transom. North and south windows of two-lights. Wagon-roof. Panelled dado, west gallery with plain 17th Century balusters. 
The chapel houses an oak memorial to John Pilcher who was killed in 1941 in WWII. The memorial features depictions of a crossed sporting gun and fishing rod and a crossed bayonet and sabre as well as the badge of the Grenadier Guards. 
Anglican chapel. Circa 1530 restored 1880 and porch added c1904. Random rubble lias, diagonal buttresses, chamfered plinth, slate roof, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Single cell, nave and chancel, south porch. South front: gabled single storey porch added in memory of Henry Goddard, died 1904, triple lancet on west front, chamfered 4-centred arch inner doorway, C19 door, 2-light window under hoodmould to right, east window of 2 x 4 lights largely rebuilt, north front 2-light window and blocked 4-centred arch doorway, similar blocked doorway at west end. Interior: painted rubble. Renewed ribbed open wagon roof, ceiled over sanctuary. West end singing gallery constructed from old pews in 1930 by Mr W H R Blacking. Panelled dado, ogee headed piscina and 2 brackets for statues flanking altar. (Photograph in NMR). 
English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265550. First Listed on 22/05/1969. 
Complex plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Wagon, Gabled roof 
Chap. (NAT) 
A chapel of the Perpendicular period situated in the hamlet of West Lynch. Until recently it formed part of the buildings of the adjoining farm, as a storehouse, but has been restored for use for Divine Service. The building is probably of the same date as the south aisle of the parish church i.e. c. 1520 (see illust). 
In normal use. 
Lynch Chapel of Ease. Grade B. 15th century. Now restored to ecclesiastical use after being occupied as cottage. 
Lynch Chapel of East, West Lynch. Grade II*. Anglican chapel. Circa 1530 restored 1880 and porch added c.1904. 
Additional bibliography. [16-8]
The 2003 Bossington and West Lynch Conservation Area appraisal states the chapel is"an important survival of a relatively rare type, closely associated as it is with a medieval farm stead or manor house. Nikolaus Pevsner in the Buildings of England series, mentions five other Somerset examples, including Lytes Cary." It goes on to describe the chapel as "a remarkably complete early 16th century chapel, probably of a former manor of the Sydenhams, although is supposed to have been established by an abbot of Atheleney. The chapel had become a barn, but the then owner of the Holnicote Estate, Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, refitted and restored it as a Chapel of Ease in 1884-5 including the fine east window of three lights with transom bars. It resembles windows at Doverhay manor, and at Porlock and Selworthy churches. There is a wagon roof, panelled dado and a 17th century gallery with plain balusters." 
The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5. 
<1> Horne, E, 1923, Holy Wells of Somerset, 35-36 (Monograph). SSO1264.
<2> Hancock, F, 1897, The Parish of Selworthy, 35-36 (Monograph). SSO1236.
<3> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1965, SS94NW, 1 (Map). SSO1746.
<4> 1889, Forty first Annual Meeting, 24 (Article in serial). SSO207.
<5> Pevsner, N., 1958, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, 227 (Monograph). SMO5711.
<6> Imperial War Museum, United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials, UKNIWM reference 1366 (Website). SSO693.
<7> Eeles F.C, 1970, The Church of All Saints, Selworthy and its Chapels of Lynch and Tivington (Monograph). SSO1111.
<8> 2/1/1986, Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park (Index). SSO672.
<9> Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record, 2005, Staff Comments, Somerset County Council (Unassigned). SSO2013.
<10> Somerset County Council, Various, Somerset HER parish files (Unpublished document). SSO1.
<11> Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) , OS 6" 1931 (Map). SMO5112.
<12> Eardley-Wilmot, H., 1981, Worksheet in Devon HER, The Parish of Selworthy 1897 35-36 illust (F Hancock) (Unpublished document). SMO5301.
<13> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments, F1 JP 21-JUL-65 (Unpublished document). SMO5103.
<14> Department of the Environment, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest , DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somerseit March 1962 74 (Index). SMO5109.
<15> Department of the Environment, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest , DOE (HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somerset 2 1 86 72 (Index). SMO5109.
<16> Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1851-, Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (Rev F Hancock) Vol 39 Pt 2 1893 p55-60 (Serial). SMO4109.
<17> Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1851-, Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society (Serial). SMO4109.
<18> Eardley-Wilmot, H., 1981, Worksheet in Devon HER, The Church of All Saints of Selworthy and its Chapels of Lynch and Tivington 1929 (F C Eccles) (Unpublished document). SMO5301.
<19> Fisher, J., 2003, Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal, p6, p11 (Unpublished document). SEM7908.
<20> Lawrence, G., 2014, Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13 (Report). SEM8060.
|MEM23542||Part of: Farmstead, Lynch (Building)|
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 1076/23/136
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601478
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Local List Status (No)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 44345
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36762
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524344
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31266
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34836
|Date Last Edited:||Jan 30 2017 1:05PM|
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please