MSO9338 - Possible circular enclosure on Varle Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A circular, embanked enclosure, lying on a formerly ploughed area was noted from aerial photographs.  The site could be vaguely discerned as a grassed area in rough grazing and gorse on the north facing slope of Varle Hill. There is no clear trace of the circular feature, though there is a slight terracing in the hillside.  Field investigation by RCHME in the general locality revealed no such feature. The area has been cultivated in the past, but has now reverted to high gorse and rough pasture. 
- <1> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 12.067 (May 1977).
- <2> SSO497 Unpublished document: Burrow, I.. 1979. Site Visit Form of the Varle Hill Enclosure.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 July 1997.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8893 3199 (87m by 76m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932857 (Pastscape entry: 932857)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11223
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE23
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932857
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33559
Record last edited
Sep 1 2017 1:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.