MSO7317 - Two Bowl Barrows, Doverhay Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 886 454. Round barrow. Doverhay Down. Scheduled.  There are two bowl barrows in this vicinity. 'A' The larger, at SS 88404508, is 1.0 metre high (10 & 11) 'B' The other, at SS 8854 4523, is 0.9 metres high (8 & 9). Surveyed at 1:2500.  'A' (SS 8843 4511) Tumulus (NR) 'B' (SS 8856 4523) Tumulus (NR)  'B'. SS 8860 4524. Luccombe 9. Bowl barrow 8 paces diameter and 2 feet high. Visited by Grinsell 31st May 1969 when under heath. 'A'. SS 8858 4524. Luccombe 9a. Mound 3 paces diameter and 0.5 feet high, 8 paces west of Luccombe 9. Visited by Grinsell 31st May 1969 when under heath. "Stone-heap or very small barrow?".  SS 886 454. Doverhay Down round barrow. Scheduled. (Barrow 'B' only). [5,6] Two barrows on Doverhay Down. 1a is centred at SS 8843 4510 close to the farm track leading to Woodcocks Ley. It comprises a circular turf-covered mound 9.6 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. It is covered in gorse, heather and bracken, but appears intact. Surveyed with GPS. 1b is centred at SS 8856 4524 and comprises a very pronounced turf-covered mound 6.4 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. (It had been recently burnt off at the time of field visit.) It appears to be intact, but lies in the `V' of two converging paths, and three posts have been erected to protect it from horses riding over it.  'B' In good condition, covered in bracken and heather.  'B' is 10 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high.  'A' is in good condition but covered with bracken.  The bowl barrows described above are visible on several aerial photographs as low mounds close to the summit of Doverhay Down. Two other prehistoric barrows lie within 250 metres of these monuments (MSO7425 & MSO7426). [17,18] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave Barrow B a survival score of 10.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 9. 
- <1> SEM7745 Index: Ministry of Works. 1961. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. P. 81 & MS Map reference.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 July 1965.
- <3> SSO1442 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10,000 Map, 1975. 1:10,000.
- <4> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 35.
- <5> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978. P. 117.
- <6> SEM7749 Map: Department of Environment. Maplet (IAM).
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 March 1997.
- <8> SMO1485 Photograph: EASTERN OF TWO BOWL BARROWS AT LUCCOMBE FROM WEST. OS65/F176/7. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <9> SMO1484 Photograph: EASTERN OF TWO BARROWS AT LUCCOMBE FROM WEST. OS65/F176/8. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SMO1476 Photograph: WESTERN OF TWO BOWL BARROWS AT LUCCOMBE FROM SOUTH. OS65/F178/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <11> SMO1483 Photograph: BARROW AT LUCCOMBE FROM SOUTH. OS65/F177/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <12> SMO1482 Photograph: BARROW AT LUCCOMBE FROM SOUTH. OS65/F177/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <13> SMO1477 Photograph: WESTERN OF TWO BOWL BARROWS AT LUCCOMBE FROM SOUTH. OS65/F178/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <14> SSO507 Unassigned: SMR file 33671.
- <15> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <16> SSO508 Unassigned: SMR file 33672.
- <17> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 211-12 (17 April 1979).
- <18> SMO7557 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NE. MD002174.
- <19> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <20> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8849 4517 (155m by 159m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35831 (Original Monarch entry: 35831)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO135
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11316
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11317
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35831
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): SO 210
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33672
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33671
Record last edited
Nov 2 2015 3:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.