MSO11544 - Possible prehistoric standing stones on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two stones, both recumbent, to the northeast of the stone circle (MSO7898) and possibly connected with it.  There is one stone on the margin of the cairn (MSO7926), 1.2 feet high, 1.7 feet long and 0.6 feet wide.  Recumbent stones could not be identified in 1990. The upright stone is probably part of the cairn structure. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, CRAAGS, 31 October 1975.
- <2> SSO1204 Article in serial: Gray, H.St.G. 1928. The Porlock stone circle, Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 74. 75.
- <3> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Porlock 10).
- <4> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS 84 SW132, 62.
- <5> SSO1856 Map: RCHME. 1989. 1:500.
|Grid reference||SS 84532 44695 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33939
Record last edited
Feb 7 2017 9:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.