MSO10513 - Railway Bridge, Pit Lane (Building)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Mineral railway bridge over road. 1857. Red sandstone, squared and coursed. Round arched opening, rusticated surround. Probably one of the smallest railway bridges extant, about a 2.5 metre clearance. Parapet obscured by ivy at time of survey (November 1983). The second stretch of the West Somerset Mineral Railway linking Comberow at the base of the mineral railway incline (qv) with the coast was opened 1857. The double track railway also carried passengers but only ran when the mines were operational. Mining ceased 1883 and after a brief revival in 1907-10 the stock was sold off in 1924. (Sellick, The West Somerset Mineral Railway, 1970).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264813. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Stone, Squared rubble, coursed walls.  Underbridge 10 (Pit Lane).  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. 46.
- <5> SEM7035 Report: Croft, R.A.. 1992. The West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design. 3.
- <6> SEM6840 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1993. West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design Summary Report.
- <7> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. 8.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0378 3627 (15m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 375/4/55
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MEM15297
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30753
Record last edited
May 27 2014 3:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.