MSO8668 - St Andrew's Church and churchyard, Withypool
|Name:||St Andrew's Church and churchyard, Withypool|
|Type of Record:||Building|
|Grid Reference:||SS 8463 3559|
|Parish:||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
The church is of medieval origin but has been restored and rebuilt at various times, most recently by WH Farings in 1902. It has a Norman font and a medieval carved stone with part of a cross set into the northwest buttress of the tower.
- CEMETERY (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- Listed Building (II*) 1057968: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
St Andrew's Church has a nave, rebuilt chancel and arcade of three bays. The low broad west tower was largely rebuilt in 1901, but the tower arch towards the nave looks 17th century rather than 20th century. There is a Norman font. 
Graveyard in use since at least medieval times. 
The parish church is late medieval in date. The tower was rebuilt in the early 17th century. The church was restored and refitted in 1887 and was restored extensively and the tower rebuilt again in 1902, with the latter work by W H Farings. . The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge. 
The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
<1> Pevsner, N., 1958, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, P. 350 (Monograph). SMO5711.
<2> Allen, N.V., 1974, Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, P. 90 (Monograph). SSO727.
<3> Aston, M, 13.12.76, Somerset County Council (Unassigned). SSO767.
<4> 2/1/1986, Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park (Index). SSO672.
<5> Lawrence, G., 2014, Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13 (Report). SEM8060.
|MSO10796||Parent of: Cross in St Andrew's Churchyard, Withypool (Building)|
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/12/163
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601488
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10795
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11722
- Local List Status (No)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35749
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34290
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31298
|Date Last Edited:||Sep 1 2017 12:55PM|
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please