Source/Archive record SEM8355 - Survey at Dovery Manor, Porlock

Type Report
Title Survey at Dovery Manor, Porlock
Author/Originator
Date/Year 2015
SANHS Building Research Group (Exmoor and West Somerset)
ENPA project name Porlock

Abstract/Summary

The building was subject to survey in February 2015 by the SANHS Building Research Group (Exmoor and West Somerset). The building had already been subjecct to a number of reports, especially in relation to renovation works carried out in 1893 and 2007. The latter revealed the southern block was the original open hall of a probably bigger building. It is thought that the Victorian renovations were of good quality and where major features were restored, they followed the form of the existing fabric where possible, although they used a distinctive hard cement mortar for restoration works. It is suggested that the south block was first constructed as an open hall, possibly with a 15th Century date, with the main block built to adjoin and openings filled to the wall to the south hall, which would have become subsidiary, possibly a service wing with a fireplace at its eastern end. This may have occurred in the late 15th Century and any ancillary buildings may also have been removed at this time. The south block may then have been ceiled in the late 16th Century and a ground floor fireplace inserted at the western end. There may also have been an external stair in this block and a first floor fireplace inserted into the main block at this time. Further work appears to have taken place in the 17th Century and the north block built as a self contained cottage in the early 19th Century. Restoration work then took place in 1893 and 2007-8.

External Links (0)

Referenced Monuments (1)

  • Dovery Court, Doverhay, Porlock (Building)

Referenced Events (1)

Record last edited

Sep 25 2018 12:07PM