MSO9355 - Weir Saw Mills / The Old Sawmills, Weir Bridge, Dulverton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Weir Saw Mills' is marked on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1-2] 'Mills' are printed on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  The sawmill is known to have had a modern wheel driving generator and saw benches in an old wheel pit.  This was a working sawmill until about the 1980s. The prepared oak timbers were taken to Minehead for ship building. It was part of the Pixton Estate. There is a datestone of 1866. The housings for the wheel have been found, and there is a tunnel about 12-15 feet below the cellar. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904. Sheet 67(8).
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Warren, D. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 02/12/1977.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Dig Dulverton. Goodfellow. 23/02/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9349 2676 (20m by 35m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114474 (Pastscape entry: 1114474)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11215
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW25
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1114474
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33547
Record last edited
Dec 10 2012 12:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.