MSO9351 - Undated mound in Newgate Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An egg shaped mound c.8 metres long and 1.5 metres high, in Newgate Plantation, with axis down slope and covered by mature trees. It is surrounded by a berm 30 centimetres above the level of the ploughed pasture field. It is thought to be a field clearance mound but could possibly be a barrow or cairn. [1,2] The mound is marked within an enclosure on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, Somerset County Planning Department to Exmoor National Park Authority, 17 April 1980.
- <2> SSO420 Photograph: Somerset County Council Planning Department. Slide. 3.009.0069-0070.
- <3> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.5.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1114333, Extant 11 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9101 2883 (11m by 8m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114333 (Pastscape entry: 1114333)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11224
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW18
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1114333
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33560
Record last edited
Apr 11 2022 1:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.