MSO9342 - Medieval or post-medieval field system on Varle Hill and Ashway Side (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An area of extensive field boundaries with ridge and furrow earthworks were noted on aerial photographs. [1-3] Extensive remains of field banks with associated ridging lie across Varle hill and Ashway Side. This area is included in a detailed AP transcription of the Winsford Hill environs, to be carried out as part of the RCHME East Exmoor Project.  The field system, comprising medieval and/or post-medieval ridge and furrow and embanked field boundaries, described by the previous authorities forms part of a larger system (described in MSO8622) that has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the RCHME East Exmoor Project. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8731, 8831 and 8832.
- <2> SSO251 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 87, 8633 and Run 89, 8657, 8658.
- <3> SSO202 Aerial photograph: May 1977. ENP MAM IRFC. 12,067.
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 July 1997.
- <5> SEM6863 Report: Winton, H.. 1999. Winsford Hill, West Somerford.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8830 3181 (1542m by 691m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932909 (Original Monarch entry: 932909)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11227
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE28
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932909
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33564
Record last edited
Mar 8 2021 1:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.