MSO9341 - Lower Spire Farm, Dulverton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The 1838 Tithe Map and Apportionment show three buildings and several small closes at Lower Spire; it is listed as part of Liscombe's 267 acres. [1,2] An early 19th Century map shows "Spire."  By 1822 Lower Spire is depicted as a farmstead in its own right.  By the end of the 19th Century the layout of the main farm buildings has changed slightly, and the arrangement of enclosures around the large barn is more complex.  By 1902 the main farm building has been replaced by two cottages on a site just to the north.  Large scale mapping drawn in 1973 shows Lower Spire Cottages as two buildings. The pattern of enclosures survives, but the large barn has gone. 
- <1> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 91.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 3 inch / 1802-4, Sheet 42(1).
- <4> SSO1211 Map: Greenwood. 1822. Greenwood's County map of Somerset. 76.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57(5).
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset 57(5).
- <7> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. Sheet SS 8832.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8813 3254 (87m by 115m)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932877 (Original Monarch entry: 932877)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11220
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE27
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 932877
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33555
Record last edited
Apr 11 2021 9:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.