MSO9337 - Possible Bronze Age barrows on Varle Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two mounds, possibly natural, or possibly barrows, are noted from aerial photographs. [1,2] Field investigation as part of the RCHME East Exmoor Project revealed no features in the general locality, which has been cultivated in the past, but which has now reverted to gorse and rough pasture. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. Gazetteer Number: 8831.
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 89, 8657 (September 1971).
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 July 1997.
|Grid reference||SS 8818 3168 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932843 (Pastscape entry: 932843)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11222
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE22
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932843
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33558
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 9:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.