MSO9336 - Three possible circular enclosures on Mounsey Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Three circular banked enclosures on Mounsey Hill recorded from aerial photographs. [1-3] There is no field evidence for any of these enclosures. Both of the fields which these sites lie in are now under improved pasture. A rectangular hollow 15 metres east to west by 7 metres north to south and 0.8 metres deep lies in the vicinity of the feature recorded at NGR SS 8887 3139.  The enclosures are not visible on more recent aerial photographs taken by Exmoor National Park.  The features described by the previous authorites could not be identified on the available aerial photographs consulted during a survey of the area. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8831.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD HSL.UK.71-177 Run 89, 8658 (September 1971).
- <3> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . ENP MAM IRFC 12,007 (May 1977).
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 September 1997.
- <5> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . ENP 10065, 1995.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Helen Winton, 20 December 1999, RCHME: Winsford Hill, East Exmoor.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8878 3146 (170m by 150m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932838 (Pastscape entry: 932838)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11144
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE21
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932838
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33473
Record last edited
Jan 7 2019 1:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.