MSO9314 - Post-medieval water meadow south of Allercott and Stowey Quarries (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a fragmented water meadow system of medieval or post-medieval date seen centred at SS 9560 3885 which comprises several concentric ditches running parallel with the slope. It is not clear with which of the deserted farmsteads these water meadows were associated. The ditches survive as earthworks and were mapped from aerial photographs. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73 087/589 (17 April 1973).
- <2>XY SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE. [Mapped feature: #39736 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1166509, Extant 27 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9558 3884 (313m by 358m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1166509 (Original Monarch entry: 1166509)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1170
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10091
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE108
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1166509
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13934
Record last edited
Apr 27 2022 4:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.