MSO9269 - Lower and Higher Kiln Fields (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Fields named "Lower and Higher Kiln" on the Tithe Map imply the existence of a limekiln.  Two old quarries are marked on the 1887-8, 1st edition map, both of which are visible on aerial photographs.  The larger of the two quarries is marked on the modern (1980) map of the area. The smaller quarry lies 70m to the south west of the possible kiln site at SS 9195 3884 and is no longer marked on Ordnance Survey maps of the area. It was, therefore, plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [3,4]
- <1> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1887-8 Somerset XLVI NE.
- <3> SMO6667 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NW.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF F63 543/2821 0147-8 27-APR-1964.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <6> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1962 6".
|Grid reference||Centred SS 920 388 (276m by 55m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089151 (Original Monarch entry: 1089151)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO555
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11187
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW26
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089151
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33517
Record last edited
Jan 30 2013 2:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.