MSO9266 - Possible deserted farmstead at Luckwell (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The Somerset SMR records the site of the deserted farmstead of Luckwell which was in existence in 1842.  The owner of Watercombe had no knowledge of this site and was not aware of any surface remains.  The SMR record describes a walled circular enclosure with straight walls radiating from it, centred at SS 9235 3890. These features were identified on the vertical aerial photographs of the area and were plotted as part of the Brendon Hills Mapping Project although they are thought unlikely to be of any great antiquity and are probably of modern origin.  The northern mapped area for this record includes an area marked as an old quarry on the 2st Edition Ordnance Survey map. These earthworks are shown unlabelled on the 1st Edition map. [5,6] Cattle market shown at south end on 1980 map where the aerial photograph mark lay.  Cutcombe Tithe Map shows two buildings numbered 509 at approximately SS92303902 and described as House etc., under the heading of 'Luckwell (part of)', occupied by Richard Snow and owned by Bouverie Honble Philip Pleydell 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR (29 September 1986).
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 4 Nov 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4298-9 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO6667 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NW.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9238.
- <8> SSO1458 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 sheet SS93NW.
- <9> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. number 509.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 923 389 (107m by 217m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089145 (Original Monarch entry: 1089145)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO553
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11184
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089145
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33514
Record last edited
Feb 19 2020 3:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.