MSO9264 - Stowey Mill, Putham Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
'Stowey mill, disused' is printed on 1904 map.  Stowey Mill is shown and named on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" mapping of 1889.  Leat overgrown by re-afforestation. Overshot ruin. Remains of wood axle. Pit wheel in situ.  Also probable site of deserted farm.  The 'farmstead' is not mentioned in Aston's list.  Stowey Mill lies in the wooded valley of an un-named stream flowing roughly south-north, and at its junction with a tributary flowing in from the west. The mill consists of three buildings: the mill building itself (centred at SS 94046 39121) orientated west-east with a wheel pit on its north side, a second building to the southwest of the mill, and a third building on the eastern side of the stream some 18 m to the east. The ruins are substantial and although generally in good condition the mill is suffering from collapse in various places and is overgrown by rhodedendrons and ivy. It urgently requires consolidation. Some improvements have been carried out recently, such as ground clearance and footpath repairs. The mill appears to have been fed by a leat which approached from the south, although a woodland track makes its course difficult to follow. There is no evidence to support Aston's suggestion  that this was also the site of a deserted farmstead.  The house, mill, orchard and garden (number 191) are recorded on Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment Book of 1842. The owner was James Pocock and it was occupied by Thomas Hooper. A nearby cottage and garden (number 190) was owned by Sir Thomas Buckler Lethbridge and occupied by Simon Warren Junr.  Robert Sedgebeer is thought to be the last miller, operating there from from at least 1877 until c1886. He lived there with his wife Ann and eight children, including Rosa. Sadly one child died in a tobogganing accident on the steep hill behind the mill rising to Cutcombe. Robert was said ride to Timberscombe every night and his horse brought him home when his friends threw him over his horse. There were said to have been about six buildings there. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46(8).
- <3> SSO1987 Verbal communication: Warren, D. 20.10.1977. Information from Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <4> SSO768 Verbal communication: Aston, M. 14.11.1977. Somerset County Council.
- <5> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 November 1997.
- <7> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <8> SEM8508 Unpublished document: Dawson, Noel. 2017. Exmoors Past Feedback on record MSO9264.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9406 3912 (106m by 93m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089138 (Original Monarch entry: 1089138)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11171
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW20
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089138
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33501
Record last edited
Mar 14 2019 10:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.