MSO9245 - Undated stony mound near Spangate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 91375 40990 is a subcircular, flat topped stony mound. It has an irregular shape and a disturbed surface. It measures 16 metres across and is 0.4 metres high. The interpretation of this site is by no means certain. Its topographic position on a narrow saddle between the Avill valley and an unnamed combe running eastwards to Wootton Courtenay support its interpretation as a prehistoric cairn, as does its consolidated appearance. However, its irregular, almost subrectangular shape argues against this. On balance, the interpretation and dating are best left open.  This feature was visble during field investigation in April 2014; it was surveyed using GPS and its position recorded as SS 91374 41002. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North and H Riley, 11 June 1997.
- <2>XY SEM8073 Unpublished document: Exmoor National Park Authority. 2014. Dunkery Hill, Hanny Combe and Spangate: Site visit. [Mapped feature: #46613 ]
|Grid reference||SS 9137 4100 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1083329 (Original Monarch entry: 10833259)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10231
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW88
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1083329
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16284
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 4:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.