MSO9233 - Possible undated rectangular enclosure north of Thorne Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Lush marks suggesting a rectangular enclosure north of Thorne Lane. [1,2] The owner at Edbrook Farm was reluctant to allow access to this site. The Grid Reference cited falls on gentle north facing slopes at the head of a combe.  There do not appear to be any extra features on the historic maps consulted that may account for the possible enclosure. The field boundaries shown on the Cutcombe Tithe Map and 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps mirror those shown on modern MasterMap data. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3307.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8938. [Mapped feature: #42603 ]
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 September 1997.
- <4> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974532, Extant 13 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8930 3815 (83m by 60m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974532 (Pastscape entry: 974532)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11846
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE29
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974532
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34424
Record last edited
Sep 13 2021 2:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.