MSO9231 - Medieval or post-medieval field system on Kitnor Heath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Field banks on Kitnor Heath. Mainly low narrow earth banks with some large standing stones. Typologically post-medieval, predating present enclosure fields. Formerly included in MSO9193. [1,2] Kitnor Heath is an area of heather moorland with extensive areas of dense gorse at its eastern end. Although some field banks were noted, there does not appear to have been an extensive attempt to enclose this area. The standing stones were not located (they are presumably uprights within the field boundaries), although these might lie within the areas of gorse. The date of the field banks is presumably late medieval or post-medieval.  Field banks are visible as earthworks on Kitnor Heath, Cutcombe parish, on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8732 3986. The Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey has recorded boundaries laid out east to west along the north facing slopes of Kitnor Heath above the River Quarme, defining a complex of up to 8 fields covering an area of over 13 hectares. Although the easternmost earthworks might be boundary banks associated with Down Cleeve Plantation, this is interpreted as representing a serious attempt to enclose this area. Unsurprisingly the reported standing stones were not visible on the aerial photographs available to the survey. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 8639 and 8739.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. A Preece, 1994.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 September 1997.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3275-7 (11 April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 1064-5 (29 April 1973).
- <6>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #43519 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974507, Extant 13 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8743 3977 (1230m by 682m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Area of prehistoric field system on Codsend and Hoar Moors (Monument) (MSO9200)
- Related to: Multi-phased field system on Codsend Moor (Monument) (MSO9202)
- Related to: Prehistoric settlement and field system at Codsend Moor (Monument) (MSO9193)
- Related to: Prehistoric settlement and field system on Codsend Moor (Monument) (MSO9203)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974507 (Pastscape entry: 974507)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO390
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12277
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE24
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974507
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35346
Record last edited
Sep 13 2021 4:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.