MSO9223 - Lime kiln and quarry west of Kersham (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
During field reconnaissance, the farmer at Kersham described a limekiln 300 m west of Kersham farm. The kiln is depicted, but not described, on Ordnance Survey maps in 1889.  The limekiln is centred at SS 9395 3875 at the western end of a quarry, exploiting an outcrop of the Roadwater limestone. The kiln is in very good condition and comprises a single bowl with stoke holes on its north and south sides. These are protected by a revetment wall on the east and by a stone wall 2.8 m high on the west. The bowl, which was reached by a ramp from the north-east, is still open and in very good condition. It is 2.2 m in diameter and 1.3 m deep.  The lime quarry described above was identified on vertical aerial photographs during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. It was not plotted during this project as is is clearly marked on the OS 1:10,000 scale map of the area. [3,4]
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1st edition 25" mapping 1889, sheet Somerset 46.8.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 4 Nov 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10,000 scale/1980 SS93NW.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3264-5 11-APR-1947.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9399 3877 (69m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1105260 (Original Monarch entry: 1105260)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO652
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12621
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW59
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1105260
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35832
Record last edited
Jan 22 2013 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.