MSO9215 - Long Stone, a possible post-medieval parish boundary marker (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
[SS 9130 4105] Long Stone.  Nothing on ground.  The tithe map of 1844 for Wootton Courtenay  marks the "Long Stone" at SS 9130 4105. This falls on the boundary of Wootton Courtenay and Cutcombe parishes, suggesting a boundary stone or marker. The Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map of 1889 does not mark such a stone, although a line of three boundary posts are recorded to the northwest . No such stone is visible on the ground; a small boundary stone to the northwest is recorded as MSO9244. 
- <1> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 16 June 1965.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46(2), 46(3).
- <4> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1997.
|Grid reference||SS 9128 4105 (point) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=37027 (Pastscape entry: 37027)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10223
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6267
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW29
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 37027
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16266
Record last edited
Feb 14 2017 8:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.