MSO9214 - White Burrows, a possible Bronze Age barrow on Dunkery Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
[SS 9036 4185] White Burrows.  No barrow here but one may have been destroyed by the road.  There is no field evidence for a cairn at this location, which is close to the road. The 1st Edition 25 inch map, which depicts most of the large cairns in this area, does not depict a cairn in this location. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 16 June 1965.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1997.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46(2).
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 37024, Extant 24 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 9035 4186 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=37024 (Pastscape entry: 37024)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11162
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6266
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW28
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 37024
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33492
Record last edited
May 24 2022 11:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.