MSO9211 - Ackland Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Deserted farmstead of Ackland, ?indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of Richard Ackelonde. Two moieties are listed at Ackland in a document of 1772 with no buildings indicated. On the 1842 Tithe Map  there were fields called Ackland southwest of Luckwell Bridge at SS 903 382.  There is no evidence for the alleged farmstead of Ackland at the NGR cited by . On the 1st edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch mapping of 1889 (sheet Somerset 46.10) Acland Cottage is shown at approximately SS 9053 3852.  An air photographic survey was carried out in this area as part of the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. There was no evidence for this farmstead on any of the available photographs. 
- <1> SEM7942 Serial: Dickinson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. 247.
- <2> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46(10).
- <4> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 40, 90.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 October 1997.
- <6> SMO5315 Verbal communication: RCHME Aerial Photographic Interpreters Comments (in DESCRIPTION above) . Carolyn Dyer/Brendon Hills Mapping Project, 29 April 1998.
|Grid reference||SS 902 381 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36678 (Original Monarch entry: 36678)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO204
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW12
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36678
Record last edited
Mar 7 2016 9:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.