MSO9209 - Bronze Age round barrow at Lype Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 9477 3705). Tumulus (NR).  SS 9478 3705. Cutcombe No 9, a bowl barrow 16 paces in diameter and 5 feet high with hollow in the centre. Visited by Grinsell 10 May 1952.  This is a bowl barrow 1.6m high with a shallow depression in its top. Published 1/2500 survey revised. [12,13,3] Monument scheduled on 11 August 2003.  A round barrow lying in improved pasture. It comprises a circular flat-topped mound measuring 13 metres north to south by 15.8 metres west to east, and is 1 metre high. The barrow has been extensively disturbed by animal erosion and has recently been fenced off to prevent further damage. However, the fence has been placed too close to the monument and impinges on the foot of the barrow.  This barrow is visible as a slight cropmark on vertical air photographs and was plotted as part of the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [6-7] The barrow is set on a gentle south facing slope and now lies on the south side of a recently improved field. It has no ditch and a flat topped profile with a central depression. Sparsely covered with grass with areas of slate and shillets on the sides.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 30.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 24 August 1965.
- <4> SSO1136 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 20/8/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 October 1997.
- <6> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 4976 035 (26 June 1976).
- <7> SMO6667 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NW.
- <8> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33480.
- <9> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8750.
- <10> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4339.
- <11> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9437.
- <12> SMO1406 Photograph: Pitcher, S.. 1965. BOWL BARROW AT CUTCOMBE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F187/5. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <13> SMO1405 Photograph: Pitcher, S.. 1965. BOWL BARROW AT CUTCOMBE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F187/6. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <14> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <15> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <16> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36661, Extant 12 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9476 3706 (33m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36661 (Original Monarch entry: 36661)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO202
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11150
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36661
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33480
Record last edited
Apr 12 2022 3:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.